Monday, October 4, 2010

Paper Doll Card

Today I Created | A paper doll thank you card.

I discovered a wonderful site: http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/
The shared graphics just make you want to create all kinds of wonderful things.

I wanted to create a Thank You card for my friend that took me out on a garage sale hunt. She loves vintage things so I thought that a vintage paper doll would be the perfect graphic to use for a card. This lovely blonde paper doll even looks like my friend.

I first created the card layout in Adobe Illustrator using the doll and the dog images. I added "ribbon" that I scanned and changed the color to match the light teal color. Next I created a plaid background for color. On the same cardstock I had also placed the dress to be cut out later.

I printed the card then carefully cut around the top half of the paper doll. I folded the card in half being careful not to bend the doll so that she stands straight up. I then cut out the dress and placed it on the doll.

I printed the inside of the card separately on plain paper, trimmed and folded to fit then glued inside to hide the cut-out of the back of the card.

Thank you Karen the Graphics Fairy!

3 comments:

  1. I love this card! I didn't understand how you made the plaid background but then I don't use Illustrator I use PSE7. Can this be translated to PSE? Just curious
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so clever!!! I'm sure your friend will be thrilled to get this card. Great job! Thanks for linking this up to Brag Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margaret. I use Photoshop so I will try to explain how to make a plaid and hopefully PSE7 has similar functions.
    1. Start with a large area (larger than what you will need for the final section of plaid).
    2. Using the Marquee Tool, make a narrow, horizontal selection (similar to a thick line). Fill this with a color of your choosing.
    3. While it is still selected, rotate to about 20 degrees (or whatever looks good to you).
    4. Duplicate the shape and move the shape to create angled stripes. (You might experiment with different thicknesses of lines and different colors).
    5. After you are happy with how the lines look going in one direction, select all, copy everything and paste it on a new layer. (Select all again if it isn't still selected in the new layer) and choose Flip Vertical. You should see a plaid design now.

    I hope this makes sense. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...