Monday, May 7, 2012

Designers Craft Connection Blog Hop – May

Welcome to the Designers Craft Connection Blog Hop. This month's theme was either Jewelry or Flowers. I had an idea combining the two but ran into a bit of a time crunch at the last minute with some additional freelance work. So I moved on to plan B which is technically my plan A since I have been meaning to do this project for some time.

I have been slowly decorating my work area in the office. It is a typical "cubicle" with dull gray fabric partitions and boring office supplies. My first project was purchasing a painter's dropcloth from the hardware store to cover the dull gray fabric walls. I bought the lightest weight dropcloth, 8oz. and 4 ft x 15 ft worked for the size that I needed.

I trimmed the dropcloth and hemmed the edges. I didn't want to attach the material permanently to the cubicle walls so I used the odd clips that they supply to hold things to these walls. But these clips looked horrible so this is where my Flower project came in.



If I have to use the clips to hold up the dropcloth walls then at least I can make them look interesting. I began by cutting some of the leftover dropcloth into 1 1/2" x 48" strips.
To make the rosettes, begin by folding a strip in half lengthwise and start tightly rolling until you have a center about the size of your fingernail. Apply a drop of hot glue to the side to hold in place. Continue rolling while twisting the fabric strip often to create "petals". Add hot glue to hold in place. This is not an exact art form so the goal is to keep it from unraveling but it does not need to be perfect.
I finished off my flowers by adding thrifted millinery leaves and gluing it on top of the clips.

I will post more office photos as I complete more thrifted and vintage decorating projects. You can see my first office decorating project here. This is what started me thinking about completely redecorating my cubicle.

To continue viewing other projects by some very talented designers, please use the Designers Craft Connection button on the right.

I am thrilled to be featured at




The Latest Find




This is linked to:
Brambleberry CottagePassionately Artistic, Rook No.17, Saved By Love CreationsSavvy Southern StyleSew Much AdoSomeday Crafts, Somewhat SimpleThe 36th AvenueThe Thrifty Home, Thrifty DecoratingTwin Dragonfly Designs, Very Merry Vintage Style and Vintage Wannabee

8 comments:

  1. I love your flowers! And such a clever way to personalise a dull office space. Thanks for sharing. Judith x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the dropcloth flowers. And, your simple and clear instructions make me want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very classy lovely way to embellish your dividers! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you! you make me want to work in a cubicle again and that is no small feat. Lovely!

    www.mel-designs.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun way to brighten up your cubicle. I bet they are fun to look at everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Featured this as one of today's crafty finds at The Latest Find! A material most people wouldn't think of to use, and they came out so cute! =) Hope you're having a great week!
    http://www.thelatestfind.com/2012/05/crafty-findpainters-dropcloth-rosettes.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rose turned out so lovely! I discovered you on The Thrifty Home and I'm now following; I would appreciate it if you could follow back. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! Drop cloth fabric makes everything special! You're featured this week on Share the Love Wednesday. Stop by and pick up a feature button. Pinning this too!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...