Sunday, August 5, 2012

Designer Craft Connection - August

Welcome to the Designer Craft Connection Blog Hop for August. This month's theme is designing with school supplies. This was an exciting challenge because I happened to have a lot of vintage school supplies gathered from my thrifting adventures.

My favorite school supply that I collect are old wooden rulers. They look so lovely as they age and are quite varied in their appearance. I began with the idea of covering a lamp shade with rulers but with a bit of luck at my local Goodwill my project became more unique. I began with 24 vintage rulers and a boxy, pink polka dotted lamp {sorry there are no "before" photos} then using hot glue, I attached the rulers to the sides.



Another vintage school supply that I love are watercolor paint tins that were used in school art classes. I had thrifted this especially nice, large tin and used it as the base for an altered art piece.

Almost everything used in this piece is thrifted and/or vintage. The only new pieces are the words that were stamped using Tim Holtz's Words for Thought stamps {CMS132}, the Sizzix Mini Sewing Room Set and the flower image next to the dress form. Everything else is found, thrifted or gifted.

This was so much fun to make and everything represents something that is meaningful to me.

The last piece is a simple project where I rolled ruled paper {beginner's learning to letter paper} around an empty bottle. I used a thrifted measuring tape that came with an attached buckle to hold the paper around the bottle. I then took a pencil and rolled the corners down at various levels.

I hope you enjoyed my projects using vintage and thrifted school supplies and would appreciate if you Follow me. And please be sure to use the DCC Blog Hop button on the right to continue on to view many more creative ideas by the talented designers in this group.

I'm honored to be Featured at:


This is linked to:
504 MainA Little Knick KnackBetween Naps on the Porch, Beyond the Picket FenceBowdabra Blog, Brambleberry Cottage, Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingCoastal Charm, Common Ground, Decor to AdoreDIY Showoff, Elizabeth & Co., Finding FabulousFrench Country CottageHomemaker on a Dime, It's a Very Cherry WorldKeeping it Simple, Live, Love, Laugh, Lovely Crafty Home,  Making the World Cuter,  Marvelously Messy, Mod Vintage Life, My Romantic HomeMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Savvy Southern StyleSew Can Do, Shabby Nest, Simply DesigningSinging Three Little Birds, Someday CraftsSugar Bee CraftsSumo's Sweet Stuff, Tater Tots and JelloThe Colorado LadyThe Southern Institute, The Thrifty GrooveThe Thrifty Home, Trendy Treehouse, Truly Lovely and Vintage Wanna Bee

16 comments:

  1. Clever ideas, Lynda!! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So COOL! I love upcycled crafts! I know that our readers will love it, too. If you get a chance we would love for you add your craft to our weekly Bowdabra Showcase. http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/08/04/saturday-showcase-craft-projects-13/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ruler project best but all are wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great projects. Love the light, it's very clever AND useful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this, if you wish, pop over to Live Love Laugh and link up at our party as i would LOVE to feature this at next weeks link up.
    Hope to see you there
    http://live-love-laugh-interiordesign.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday - - you were featured today!!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one inventive gal!

    Popped in from Time Travel Thursday ~

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great vintage presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW. love all these back to school idea's. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute projects and perfect for back to school time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the lamp! I have a collection of vintage yardsticks, but I can't bring myself to cut them up for reuse. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  12. That lamp is brilliant!
    Great idea.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok.. I'm totally in love with your ruler lamp. Fantastic idea! Pinning!
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original Round Up party is open!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lamp is way cool! and the mixed media art piece is stunning! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fabulous ideas! Thank you so very much for sharing. My favorite by far is the yardstick lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your vintage ruler lamp turned out awesome! What a fun use for the rulers!Thank you for sharing this with us at TTF. Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...