Sunday, July 27, 2014

Paper Succulent Garden

What do you get when you combine the popular succulent gardens with the trend of decorating in creamy white color schemes and the desire to recycle thrifted treasures? The answer is a DIY paper succulent garden.



The base is an old, thrifted, wooden bottle crate that I filled with styrofoam inserts. I used Sizzix dies with most of them from the Alterations line since they were so versatile for my design.
I used wood, burlap, acetate, metal, corrugated cardboard, grunge paper, coffee filters and my favorite; painter's tarp. For each barrel cactus I die cut 20 circles from painter's tarp. I folded the first circle in half and stitched the top of the fold to the top center of the next piece. I repeated this until all folded circles were joined at the top. I then repeated stitching the pieces together on the bottom centers until it formed a round "ball". The loose threads of the painter's tarp created the look of thorns when it was completed.
I used the Sizzix Tattered Pinecone die but instead of curling each section outwards {to create a pinecone look} I curved them inwards to create a succulent look.
If you look carefully you will also see other dies like the Tattered Floral, Branch Tree, Garden Greens, Jumbo Tattered Florals, Tattered Poinsettia and the new Jumbo Tattered Pinecone. And finally, I used florist moss as textural filler.

This project was all about texture, neutral colors and wanting a succulent garden that wouldn't cost much money.

Thrilled to be featured at:

This is linked to:
Be Different, Act Normal, Boogieboard Cottage, City of Creative Dreams,  Craft-o-ManiacCreate With Joy, Cupcakes and Crinoline,  Flamingo Toes, Gingersnap Craft, Glitter Glue and Paint, HomeworkJAQS StudioKammy's KornerKathe with an E, Ladybug Blessings, Lamberts Lately, Life on Lakeshore DriveLines Across, MamabzzNot Just a Housewife,  Pieced Pastimes, Rhinestone BeagleSerenity You, Sew Can Do, Simply Designing, SNAPSomeday CraftsSugarbee Craft, Tatertots and JelloThe 36th AvenueThe Answer is ChocolateThe Crafty Blog StalkerThe DIY Dreamer, Titi Crafty and Too Much Time on My Hands

12 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda,

    These are so interesting.
    Thank you for sharing them
    with us.

    Bear Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks incredible! I love the colors and textures you used and it almost looks real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so unique and extremely well done! Kudos!! Simply stunning!

    Thanks for linking up at the Bewitchin Projects party this week! I can't wait to see what you link up again next week over at OurMiniFamily.com!

    Cheers,
    ~Cathy Mini~
    OurMiniFamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful project on The Inspiration Board at homework. I loved your project and featured you today!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    carolyn ~ homework

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly incredible - just gorgeous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynda,

    What a stunning piece of art you have created!
    Thank you SO much for sharing it with us at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!
    I am so pleased to feature you and your work at this week's party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks fantastic! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful piece you did! Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links last Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...